Pardon the Construction.

Under Construction!

Welcome to the Church of the Introvert

It's the all-too-familiar Sunday morning scene. Handshakes, pats on the back, small talk, and the ever-dreaded turn-and-greet-your-neighbor-time in the service. It's time for church- a time to shed the introvert inside and find someway to be a social being.

Let's face it. By and large, the contemporary church is made by the extrovert, for the extrovert. Don't believe me? Well what introvert would ever come up with the idea for a "Fellowship Hall?" It seems all you hear about is the importance of relationships and community. Somehow these have become the new gauges of spiritual vitality. But for many introverts, the relationships and community that are supposed to edify us usually just end up draining us.

So I've created this blog as a resource for introverts trying to survive in the extroverted church. It's mostly an experiment so bear with me. But I thought I'd start some discussion with a question:

What do you think a church made by introverts, for introverts, would look like?


3 comments:

Anthony said...

Good stuff Jeff. I too am an introvert and can find the church experience a bit overwhelming/exhausting. I've gotten to the point where I'm okay on Sunday mornings, but I have trouble with the many programs I feel somewhat obligated to be involved in as a church member (ie Bible studies, Home Fellowship Groups, various get-togethers and dinners and outings). I recognize the importance of connecting and fellowship, but I've found that I have to draw the line somewhere to keep myself from getting burned out. Unfortunately this makes me susceptible of being labeled antisocial. Oh well...

Alex Kontras said...

Even though I'm a strong believer in Christian community, I think you're really on to something. Is it possible that many churches do community in the wrong way? Is there a way for Christians to be communal without catering solely to extroverts?

More generally, this experiment of yours has me thinking about the ways in which my theological convictions are informed by and rooted in my personality rather than the scriptures.

Anonymous said...

There is no biblical basis for introvert or extrovert. Your spiritual identity is that you are in Christ and have a new spiritual identity that is inclusive of your spiritual giftedness.
It is time for the Church to stop looking to Jung and look to the Living Jesus for their Divine identity. I would argue that Christian community is rooted in the new life in Christ which is self-forgetfulnes and sacrificial giving ourselves for others spiritual, emotional, physical well being. The text of John 13:34 and many other "one another" verses define community not Freud not Jung and not new age spirituality.

Post a Comment