Pardon the Construction.

Under Construction!

Introverts, Facebook, and Divine Revelation

Do introverts fit in at church? Richard Beck seeks to answer that question in this great article . And it turns out, there is another church for introverts over at Introverted Church where there are some great resources for introverts in the church.

Just a quick thought here.

There are a lot of well-meaning folks who see Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, personal blogs, and any other form of internet networking as a threat to real relationships and communication. And by the term real, what they usually mean is the bodily and the face-to-face. Surely, they argue, you can't have any sort of meaningful relationships with people you're not physically interacting with through means of body language, voice tones, or facial expressions. It's just not possible.

No? Well, to the best of my knowledge, I have never physically interacted with God in those ways. I've never actually seen him smile, raise his eyebrows, or let off a heavy sigh. Does that mean I don't have a meaningful, intimate relationship with him? While someday we will physically interact with the incarnate God, that is not the case for now. I doubt anyone would say that the Lord's bodily absence prevents us from having intimate communion with him.

So how do we experience intimacy and communion with God? Through his Word. Although he sometimes shows up in extra-biblical ways, the primary way he reveals himself to us in the 21st century is through divinely inspired written words. All of our understanding of who God is and how he relates to us are found in those words. In their Spirit-breathed power, we are able to have an intimate and meaningful relationship with God.

If God is able to meaningfully communicate himself through written words, it seems that the absence of physical interaction does not impeed real relationships. That's good news for introverts who are suckers for online communities. Most introverts love words, both reading and writing them. We express ourselves much better through writing than in speaking and would much rather read an email or text than have to answer the phone. It's not that we're mean, we just prefer written communication. And for the time being, it seems God does too.

So it's my opinion that the internet networking phenomenon is a Godsend for introverts who are finally finding their voice in social networks based heavily on written communication. Sure. There are dangers if one never ventures outside of those networks. But far more dangerous is the silence of creative and insightful introverts in a world dominated by extroverts. They need to be heard. Even if only in a Twitter update.

All that to say I won't be deleting my Facebook account anytime soon.



1 comments:

Bookjacket said...

I loved this article... you see, Jeffery Lawson, I am not 100% extrovert. In fact, I often think that I was "designed and wired" to be an introvert but succumbing to sin in my life ("pleasing and placating"), forced an extrovert out of me. I do NOT like walking into large crowds of people (but, have learned to use humor to offset my anxiety of not being accepted). I know a ZILLION people... but have a small circle that I trust completely. I LOVE the solitude of early morning and late nights when I can read, write, pray and feel safe from the judgement and opinions of people. I would MUCH rather communicate through writing because when I talk I overwhelm people (especially at introverted NCCC) which makes me talk MORE or joke more.

I disagree though, that the world is dominated by extroverts. I believe that God did balance His creation in temperament so that there would be an equal blending of truth-tellers and nurturers. HOWEVER, sin and salvation plays a role in trampling or transforming our "bent". Many introverts masquerade as extroverts to compete, excel, please or survive. And many introverts take the risk of reaching out to people, the way Christ reached out to them, to demonstrate His compassion, mercy and grace.

In closing, let me just throw out for comment: The revolving door of people who comment most that NCCC is not a friendly church or that they never had a sense of belonging, were introverts. In the body of Christ we are all called to touch the human spirit with the love of Christ. How will they know Him?

"Peter, do you love me? Then, feed my sheep."

Post a Comment